Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekend Cooking Projects

It's the weekend again ... unfortunately, I think we'll be doing a lot more cleaning than cooking this time. The place has gotten to be a real mess! (We're both very busy with work.)

Plans:

Salad "Vinagret." One of the few Russian vegetarian salads out there (with the exception of any "fasting day" versions of other salads.

We want to try and hunt down some more winter cabbage. So far we've only found it in the farmer's market in the nearby French village. It's a bit more expensive than the regular one, but man, do I love that cabbage! The kvashennaya kapusta we made last weekend is almost gone, so it's time for round two (and maybe we'll make more this time).

I might make some piroshki. Last time I made them I was lazy and used store-bought pizza dough. When fried, this worked beautifully. When baked, the piroshki were bland. It's been a while since I made these from scratch. I may not do it because...

I think this is the weekend I'm going to try to make borodinskiy bread. I bought ingredients last weekend.

I'm going to make a big jar of ryazhenka! (I love the stuff). It's baked and slightly fermented milk. I know, it sounds disgusting. It's really good.

Maybe some soup? Probably should take advantage of the fact that it's still cold outside.

That's probably it. Like I said, a lot of cleaning to do, and maybe some work.

No comments: