Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm Tired!

I cooked more today than I probably have in the past month! Today I made golubtsy (cabbage rolls stuffed with meat and rice), kvashennaya kapusta (salted cabbage, alluded to in the New Year post), and shuba herring and beet salad, also alluded to in the New Year post).

I had also intended to make a bunch of pelmeni today and freeze them, but it looks like that will have to wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm also going to make a bunch of meat broth, and maybe I'll try my hand at bread (but probably I'll leave that for next weekend). But so far I feel pretty good with 7 cabbage rolls (big ones!) in the fridge, 7 in the freezer, and one in my stomach. :-)

Pictures and recipe for shuba tomorrow, and the same for kapusta shortly afterward.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

My husband's grandmother (who was Hungarian) used to make THE BEST cabbage rolls. I've never attempted them myself, but I sure do miss them (and her - she died 5 years ago.)

I am tempted to try your cabbage roll recipe!

And, wow, you did the whole Russian food spread for New Years!

Rozmin said...

Oh, you should definitely try to make them like your husband's grandmother! I miss my grandmother who died a few years ago ... but whenever I cook Indian food of any kind, whether it's a recipe she taught me or not, it brings back fond memories of her. :-)