Thursday, January 29, 2009

Weekend Cooking Project: Healthy Pirozhki

I'm going to make pirozhki again, mostly because I'm crazy in love with that beautiful, yeasty dough, and also because I just plain like bread pockets with stuff inside.

In that vein, my mission is going to be to "duplicate" a certain Amy's product that I've loved for years, but that I think has now been discontinued (not that I get Amy's products here, anyway). That would be the pocket sandwich stuffed with the topping from the Roasted Vegetable Pizza. I don't have shitakes, which are on the ingredient list, and I'm not especially inclined to go out and find them. But I'll work something out.

Mainly, I plan on making the dough itself healthier by using 50% whole wheat flour, 50% white flour and slightly less vegetable oil. I also plan on not relenting to the sad face my BF will put on when he finds out I intend to bake these ones.

So, I'm going to have some that have the "Amy's" filling, some with the carrot and onion stuffing I loved so much last week, and lastly, some dessert ones. The chief reason for making dessert ones is to clean out the jam jars and some of the frozen fruit in my refrigerator. I kind of plan on mixing them all together, and possibly adding some ricotta cheese to the filling, too. We'll see how it turns out. If I'm successful with the "Amy's" one, it'll be a major victory, since those products are so good but very expensive.

I may also try to make paneer, but I'm a bit lazy to do so, since ricotta serves as a fine replacement for the unpressed version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rozmin,
That topping on the Amy's Roasted Vegetable frozen pizza IS quite delectable, you have good taste (obviously). When you come up with a good duplication formula, please share! I love making my own frozen pizzas, i par-bake them just to raise the crust and set the toppings, let them cool then put them on hand-cutout cardboard circles and inside ziploc bags. I will make like 8 to 10 at a time and they keep for a weeks. And, it is WAY cheaper than their organic brand name counterparts. If I may make a few dough suggestions: Instead of whole wheat flour, try whole spelt flour. comparable nutritional value, better taste, and better performance in raised (yeasted) doughs. In my humble opinion. Also: peel and boil some russet potatoes and mash/whip them up (in a food processor is good), working them into the dough right before the flour. it will add a richness and irresistable crumb to the final crust. i swear, it won't taste like potato, think of it as a dough conditioner. just cook them really well and make them as smooth as possible before you work them in. you don't need that much either, maybe use a half pound of potatoes for every three cups of flour in the original recipe. just ideas. hope i am not bothering you. good luck with all of your ideas- i can't wait to read how they turn out!

- wd.tony

Rozmin said...

Wow, those are great suggestions! I'm definitely doing the potato thing, especially since it allows me to enlist my BFs help. He's kind of "in charge" of potatoes around here. :-D I don't know about finding spelt flour. I'm sure they have it (and I'm going to look, because I'm heading to the store tomorrow anyway), but sometimes I have a tough time finding foods here that would be so easily obtained in the States. First step is to look up "spelt flour" in French, otherwise the search will definitely be hopeless. I'll let you know how it turns out! I can almost taste the delicious topping on that pizza...