Friday, November 14, 2008

Cucumber and Cauliflower Salad

I made this for the first time a month or so ago, because we had a cauliflower head, and we always have cucumbers and onions. I read a recipe on some site, I think cooks.com, but I can't find it now. Anyway, this is only loosely based on that, so I hope I'm not stealing anyone's recipe without giving credit. :-)

Cucumber and Cauliflower Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 medium head of cauliflower
1/2 small onion
1/4 english cucumber

2 t salt plus extra to taste
2 t balsamic vinegar
black pepper to taste
1/2 c cream or sour cream
fresh dill

Method:

Cut the half head of cauliflower into 2 quarters, and then cut each quarter into half. So you'll have 4 equal sized wedges of cauliflower. Now slice the cauliflower as thinly as you can and put it into a salad bowl. Slice the onion into semi-rings as thinly as possible, and also cut the cucumber as thinly as possible. Add them to the bowl. Sprinkle some of the 2 t of salt, then mix the veggies, repeating this process until you've added the whole 2 t. Move the bowl to the refrigerator and let it sit for a 2-3 hours. When the time is up, rinse the vegetables and drain them really well. The salt will have softened the cauliflower. Now you can add the balsamic vinegar (you could use lemon juice if you don't have it), the cream, chopped fresh dill (about 2 T, or more if you like it) and pepper and extra salt to your tastes.

Serving Suggestion and Notes: The longest part of this is the waiting for the veggies to soften. I must emphasize that rinsing is important, otherwise the veggies will be very salty. I learned that the hard way. I like to eat this with one or two other salads (like the Simple Tomato Salad from yesterday) and a piece of baguette.

No comments: